Thursday, October 11, 2012

DIY Hybrid Halloween Banner and Photoshop "clipping" tutorial




One of my favorite days of the week is Wednesday, because over at Jessica Sprague they have $1 and 50% sales on digital papers and elements. I am not affiliated with the site in any way, except as a shopper who loves getting a great deal on Echo Park, Pink Paislee and other trendy paper company designs.

I have a friend who really, really likes Halloween. She does a wonderful job decorating her home and gets everyone in the spooky spirit. I'm not so big on Halloween, but thought it would be fun to make her a little mantle banner for her fireplace using some of this week's $1 deals from the Echo Park "Chillingsworth Manor" collection.

As I've begun dabbling in digital one of my favorite tricks has been discovering the use of "clipping".  Nearly any digital element can be used to "cut" out the shape of your choice.

I created the pennants for my friend's banner using the following steps:

1. Open the pattern paper and resize it so that the print will be proportionate to your project. I wanted to make the pennants in my banner 4x6.

Select the Image drop down menu: Resize: Image Size.

Be sure that "contrain proportions" is not checked and enter the width and height you would like to use. I always set my resolution at 300.


2. Open the shaped element of your choice:


 HINT: In order to see the images side by side select the Windows drop menu, Images and Tile option.

3. Now using your mouse drag your paper on top of the shape you will be cutting.

Be sure that in your Layers Palette that your pattern paper is above the shape you will be cutting.

4. Press and hold the Alt key while positioning the pointer over the line dividing the two layers in the Layers palette (the pointer will change to two overlapping circles ) and click.




The technical term that Photoshop uses for this is "grouping with previous".  It can also be accomplished by going to the "layer" drop down menu and selecting "group with previous".

If this process doesn't work out, it is most likely because your layers are not in the correct order in your palette.

Now you can embellish your pennants as you wish.  I added a number of elements from the Echo Park Chillingsworth Manor collection.





I'll share the completed project with you in my next post,


Have a lovely day,

CarrieAnne


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love feedback and appreciate the time it takes you to leave it :)